Signs of Bad Electrical Wiring in a House

Every homeowner needs electricity in their house for comfort, safety, and productivity. From kitchen appliances, lighting fire alarms to mobile devices and gadgets, a lot of fixtures in the home require electricity to function. As a result of the importance of electricity in the home, it is crucial for electrical wiring to be in good shape at all times. Bad or faulty electrical wiring poses a lot of risks to homeowners, which is why it is important to spot it as soon as possible. In this article Cowley Electrical Ulladulla highlights the signs of bad electrical wiring in a house that you need to look out for.

What Is Bad Electrical Wiring?

Also referred to as faulty wiring, bad wiring refers to a case in which there is damage to wire in an electrical system. It can also refer to the flow of incorrect voltage within the electrical system. Bad electrical wiring can be caused by wear, damage by pests such as rodents, or a wrong setup by the electrician. Faulty wiring usually causes a release of excess electrical power, thereby increasing your power bill significantly. Asides from the economic disadvantage, faulty wiring poses fire hazards. 

Five Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in a House

  • Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips: It is normal for circuit breakers to trip, as that is what they are put in place for. Circuit breakers cut off the flow of electricity whenever there is a surge or short circuit. It is however a problem if your circuit breaker trips frequently, as it is a sign of a problem with the electrical system. It could be a case of bad electrical wiring or too many high-energy devices. Either way, it is important to check your electrical wiring.
  • Flickering Lights: If the lights in the house flicker whenever it is on, it is a sign that the electrical wiring is faulty. Most times, flickering lights are usually accompanied by buzzing switches.
  • Frayed Wiring: Frayed or chewed wiring is very dangerous, as it can cause electrical shocks and fires. Chewed wiring is usually caused by pets or pests in the home, with rodents being the culprits often times than not. It is important to contact an electrician once you come across chewed wiring in the house. 
  • Hot Electrical Outlets: An electrical outlet that is warm or hot is a sign of bad electrical wiring in the house. Due to the fact that faulty electricity usually results in surges, the heat makes electrical outlets warm. Look out for outlets that look scorched or darkened, as they are most likely suffering from the heat. You should also feel for vibrations in electrical outlets, as it is a telling sign of an electrical surge.
  • Burning Smell: If you perceive strange odors or burning near an electrical outlet, it is an indicator of an electrical fire. In this case, remove any device plugged into that outlet and contact a level 2 electrician immediately. 

Conclusion

Bad electrical wiring does not only come with safety risks, it also affects your finances. This is why it is important to pay attention to the signs and fix all faulty wiring in your home.

Previous Post
Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *